Sunday, June 22, 2008

Back to Mattoon

First off, we had a fun Father's Day with Cody. Yes, of course we went fishing. It was hot but nice. Baylee loves seeing the fish. We did dinner and presents on Saturday since I knew we'd be at the pond. I won't argue with celebrating for 2 days.

Sunday night we left to go to Omaha. We had a good trip there other than being detoured 150 miles to go around the flooding in Iowa. I knew there was a detour but I wasn't expecting a route that long or I would have gone a different way. I got to experience a few things I'd never done before...

Hagan, Heather, Teague and I went to the dog track. I had never done that. Proud to say after a lesson from Hagan and a few tips from Heather and Teague, I invested $5 and played the whole rest of the time on it(10 of 15 races). Even after a crazy final race where I bet most of my winnings and a crash at the start changed everything, I still walked away with an extra $1.20. (big winnings, haha) But of us, I was the only one that ended up ahead, probably beginner's luck, but I will take it. It was a lot of fun, though we were the only ones under the age of about 50 there. We hung out in the casino that night, where I put my $1 in a penny slot machine, of course I lost it. But I had fun watching Teague play and we met some great ladies from Atlanta that were up there for their sons who were in the College Baseball world series. It was nice to talk to some southerners.

I also had my first experience with sushi at the Kona Grill. I have to say, some of it was pretty stinking good. Some, I did not care for but did not despise. I guess I was unaware of what I was missing. It helped to have such knowledgeable sushi connoisseurs eating with me. Yummy.

We went to the park/lake one day. We got to take turns on Hagan's kayak. That was more entertaining than I expected and again first time.

It was nice to have Mom watch Baylee for me one day/night so that I could go hang out with Hagan, Heather, and Teague. It was strange and a first time thing for me, I didn't even call other than to say how late we'd be. Mom had a little pool for Baylee to play in. My sweet moody little lady loved it one day and hated it the next, but it was a blast watching her when she loved it!

All in all, we had a wonderful trip, minus the drive. Baylee however pulled out a few new things while we were there. I know she's pretty much connected to my leg but she took to Mom easily. She now has a pout that she does whenever someone she's not sure about so much as looks at her. Hagan and Teague were not taken to easily, but yet, she had no problem at all with Dad. Moody little mama's girl! She also can climb stairs, had no idea! And she wins the awards for the best and most high fives given in a day. She still absolutely loved Belle(parents' Italian Greyhound) Belle even did not mind her. Of course it could've been that Baylee got a kick out of feeding her and would throw her food on the floor and crack up whenever Belle ate it. Belle got more than her fair share of Kix this past week. Baylee actually called Belle "Out" the first day since that's what she calls the kitty, but very quickly picked up to calling her "buh". She chased poor Buh all over the place.

Dad got to come home on Thursday night, we spent Friday with him. We had to leave the house a good bit that day as they had 3 showings to disappear for. We went garage sale hunting. That was fun and we found some great deals. It was great to see little Brayden. He's so cute. I had a good time shopping with Mom and just hanging out with her. It was awesome that Teague could come up from Houston. It was so nice to see everyone, wish we could've stayed longer, but we missed our Cody.

We left to come home early early Saturday morning. She was so excited to see Cody when he got home from work. Later that night she did something that amazed both of us. Cody said Hi Baylee and her unprompted response....Hi DaDa. How on earth did she know she was supposed to say that back to him?

She's becoming an excellent walker and goes all over. She has discovered that throwing stuff in the trash is fun so I have to keep an extra close eye on that. I show her something once and sometimes she just picks right up. That is one of them.

We went fishing today. The trip was less productive than normal, but we still didn't get skunked. Cody got to fish a lot while we were gone and went to a different lake since he didn't have to worry about finding spots for Baylee. I'm glad he had a little fun while we were gone.

I'm so glad we got to go see the family and Baylee could see all of them as well. I am also happy to be home, I hate living out of a suitcase, I've paid my dues with that back in the Alabama days. Glad to be home to Cody. It makes me wish that one day we can be close to family though. We had a blast and I could write pages upon pages of things we did while we were there but I will spare yall that! Hope everyone has a great week!

2 comments:

Chambers Clan said...

Kayaking huh...It sounds like you had fun. It is so nice to be by family. But I also think it's good to be away to establish your own family too. I'm glad Baylee is better. I know how that is at night. Brooklyn did the same thing for about a month, then it just stopped! I'm a home body too! I'm glad you had a good time:)

G said...

Hmmmm a photo op in the SSH shirt huh ? I am shocked.....hope all is well Derick